Monday, May 1, 2017

KidPik Boxes

Subscription boxes for kids clothing seems to be a big thing lately, so I decided to give another company a try. Kidpik is similar to the other boxes I have tried in that you fill out a profile, they send you stuff, you keep what you like and return what you don't. You only get charged for what you keep, there is no styling fee and shipping is free both ways. Like Kidbox, you get a discount for keeping everything and like Rockets of Awesome, returns are done via USPS so that is very convenient. Kidpik is different than the other services though because it only styles girls. Yep, no boys clothing yet. So I ordered a box for my 7 year old and my 3 and a half year old. Now, keep in mind that the smallest size they offer is a size 4, so I was not expecting things like pants to fit my little one just yet. I mostly wanted to check for style, fabric quality, and price. 

First up is my little Lizzie's box:

I'll start with the stuff that we sent back.

Blue 5 pocket knit pants, size xxs (4) and a classic girl crop tee size xxs (4)





I liked how the pants felt, and the cut and lines were nice. I really liked how the color and cut fit with the tee shirt. But, the pants were too long (which wasn't a surprise) and the waist was way too big which seemed for HOW much room was in the waist despite using the adjustable bands. Are 4 year olds really that much wider at the hips and waist? 
The shirt was super cute with the pants and I liked the gold glitter detail on the girls hair. However, I was concerned about the skin tone on the girl looking too much like a stain, it just kept making me look twice, which means I would forever be second glancing at it to make sure I didn't spill coffee on it.. I also am not sure how I feel about cropped tees on little girls (or on anyone for that matter) To me it looks too much like a cheap shirt that got washed in too hot of a cycle and then shrunk. The colors though are bright and the fabric is soft.










Prices: There are two prices for each item, the "keep it all" price and the higher price for if you decide to send anything back. The KIA price for the pants was $10.15 while the "regular" price was $14.50. The prices on the top were KIA for $8.75 and regular for $12.50.
Obviously I don't expect to find an exact match on the tee shirt, but I can regularly find tees at Target and even Children's place for less than that and they have cute graphics as well. The pants being too big (but the smallest size kidpik offers) I couldn't keep them or exchange them. Target has leggings for cheaper and similar pants but not in toddler sizing, so we will probably have to wait until she is a bit bigger to get similar pants which is fine, leggings work well for her.



A pair of classic shorts size 4

I didn't grab a decent picture of her in these shorts, but I did like the fabric and these fit okay with the adjustable waist band tightened. The fabric is soft and the color very nice. I liked how they went with the cropped tee that came in the box.
 One thing I noticed in going over the sizing, is that some of the items are sizes xxs while these shorts are listed as a 4. I would expect this minor difference across brands but all of these items are made by kidpik, so I am just curious as to why some are marked xxs and others weren't. Is there a difference at all? I know, its a bit knitpicky, but figured I'd point it out since if I noticed it, maybe others would too.


Prices: KIA price $ 10.15, regular price $14.50. Yikes. Both prices are too high in my opinion. Granted, I could not find shorts that looked exactly like these, they had plenty of denim and more casual shorts with the most expensive being $10, and those were the denim ones with super cute lace details on them.

Jean Jacket size (xxs 4)


 In this photo she is wearing the jacket with the dress, which we kept. Honestly I loved how they matched but the price was just too high to keep it, especially since I knew I wasn't keeping everything. She has a couple of jean jackets already, not exactly like this, but she doesn't usually wear them so I figured it wasn't a worthwhile investment.



KIA price of $15.75
and regular price of  $22.50

 Like I said, I decided not to fork over $22.50 for a jacket she probably would rarely wear. She has a white jean jacket and a Hello Kitty one so I figured that I can live without adding another one to her closet.



What we did keep:

Cabbage Rose mesh tank dress size xxs (4)

Braided bracelet. 


 The KIA price was $15.75 while the Regular price was $22.50 (just like the dress mind you) and I loved the fit and fabric so much and my daughter loved the way it twirled and how the flowers looked. Yeah, the price was a little higher than I would normally pay for a dress for a 3 year old, but I figure if she wears it to church a few times this spring and summer and to a couple family parties it won't be a waste of money. I also think it is a rather timeless style so my youngest daughter might be able to wear it assuming it survives until then.


The bracelet was cute and inexpensive. I honestly almost kept just this one thing, but the dress garnered a huge smile on my little girls face so I decided to keep it too.  KIA price $2.45, regular price $3.50

The merchandise total, at regular price was $90.00. With the KIA discount of 30%, the total would have been $63.00

All in all, I have learned that sometimes what seems convenient isn't always that way in the long run. Going to Target for a regular shopping trip and picking up a couple of pants in a size I know fits my daughter is actually pretty simple. I shop there so often for kids clothes that I have come to really know what sizes fit in the brands that they sell. I have yet to return something I have bought because it is too big or small.
While Stitch Fix has been awesome for me, these subscription boxes for kids haven't really been that great of a thing and have garnered more misses than hits. Sure, it's fun for my girls to try on clothes and its easier at home than at the store, but in the end the prices are too high and if something doesn't fit, the process to exchange it is not as simple as it sounds at first. I have yet to find out if I make an exchange, and it still doesn't fit right, if I have the option of returning it or not, and that goes for all of the kids boxes I have received. Rockets of Awesome and Kidpik have the convenience of being able to use the postal service to return items-which for me means either scheduling a pick up which is free and easy, or stuffing the return bag in my mailbox, is much simpler than returning with Kidbox which goes through FedEx which is not anywhere near where I live.If I have to drag my kids into town to find a place just to drop off my returns, it loses it's "From the comfort of your own home" flow.
If you truly don't have time to shop for kids clothing then these boxes make sense if you don't mind spending more money (hopefully the clothes last long enough to make it worth it).
But for those of us who can hit Target or The Children's Place (both have online shopping, simple in store return policies and great sales and rewards programs) then these boxes aren't really worth doing.






No comments:

Post a Comment